Commercial 2020

 

Product

The product we used was vans. We didn't want to just use vans as a shoe because it's not just a shoe. Van's as a community is a way of life. You wear it, you think it, you breathe it. So, for the script, we really wanted to convey flashback memories. We wanted to first show covid news storied establishing that the world has gone into this lockdown mode. We then show Joey (our actor)  remembering the news stories and almost calming himself down. It then cuts to a flashback scene of his two friends riding around, laughing, and just having fun. It keeps does this another time before finally staying at the flashback (which are supposed to be pre-virus) and says vans always connected.

Process

The whole process of this film was very stressful and annoying. It was just me and my partner Asya. I ended up doing 90% of the work. I did all of the pre-production work except for the storyboards. Which weren't even done until the editing stage, and she kept saying how she might not do them. I wrote the script, and I even wrote it like a storyboard since we had no dialogue. I did both of are call sheets, and I did the group detail sheet. Which just talks about the basics like everyone's role and a logline of what the commercial is going to be about. We had planned out our filming dates almost a week in advance. 

The first day was fine but we didn't get to film as long so we had a backup day just in case, that we ended up needing to use. Asya had work that night but got permission from her mom to film once we got off of work since we were filming night scenes anyway. We talked in class about filming and she never said anything to me until I texted her later that night. She was confused and said that she was working and then going back to the campsite she was staying at since she was camping last minute. I was then supposed to be filming in downtown Olathe by myself at night. Thankful after I was crying my mom and sister agreed to help me. Where we were filming for two hours that night. The next day we were also filming are flashback scenes. I told everyone to meet at my house at 10:30 so we could get to our location at 10:45 and then film from there since we are supposed to be filming all of our flashback scenes in one day. Asya didn't show up at my house till 11:30 and we didn't get to the location till 12. And we were supposed to be done filming at 2. We had to scramble to put together a last-minute filming date on Monday to even get something else shot for the end scene. So when it came time to editing, I was really over everything and honestly just gave up because I had so much else going on at that time as well. Needless to say, I will not be working with her again.

Overall my role throughout this whole film was everything. And I learned how to work on the go and think on the fly since I didn't have storyboards to look off of I had to change a lot of the shots. I also am learning how to speak up. So when someone doesn't do their job that they don't get the credit for the work I did.

Post

 Honestly, I would change a lot about this project. From who I worked with to the overall look of the film. I would put more energy and effort into it that I didn't have before. I just need to motivate myself more through everything I went through.

I liked the concept of the commercial and I liked to film overlays of everything. I also liked the art direction of everyone's outfits since it was supposed to be 90's vibes. 

Honestly, I can't wait for the next project to start and I get to put forth work that I am excited to work on and that I'm happy about.


Comments

Popular Posts