Final Senior Blog Post

5 Guarantees

   I learned technical skills while being "on the job". You can only really learn this while actually going out and filming or while working on a project. This is essentially what the whole job is, working aspect wise. This is the skill that lets you go out and be able to make amazing projects. You are always going to run into problems along the way, but you should be able to problem solve by looking at the settings or even googling what the issue is and seeing how to fix it.

   I learned the skill communication my sophomore year. However, I didn't really start using it until my junior year. You have to be able to communicate with other people. Wether it is in your class or within your group, or even if you want to film somewhere you need to be able to communicate with them so they know what you want. Not only with the communication but  people need to be able to comprehend what you are communicating with them. And half of the time thats most of the issue. If you are talking to someone and they don't comprehend what you are saying thats where the issue comes in.  

   I have always known collaboration from a young age. I was the kid that teachers would put with the students that didn't like to do their work because they know that I would make them do something. When it comes to e-comm it is very important to have good collaboration. You are constantly working in groups and if you have an issue in this area it usually turns into everything falls on one person or the project doesn't ever get done.

   I didn't really step into this role until last year. I have always wanted to take that leadership position and I didn't feel like I really could until I did. I like being the person that is the main driving force for something. I know however, last year it was very hard for me. There was terrible communication between me and are director and he started not only treating me unfairly but other people that took time out of their day to help out as well. And this year it was a lot better but I did feel very disrespected with team saying directly in front of me "oh no, now we can't ignore her and actually have to do are work", but once I gave them a job and made sure that my director was checking in with them so they were doing their work they did do it with a couple of exceptions but over all it was good.

   Project Management has problem been the thing my groups and I have struggled with the most. Especially with Covid. We would have actors get sick or couldn't get filming done in time with all of are schedules. It's something that we definitely still need to work on and I don't think that it's every going to stop.

   Overall I have learned that I have great technical skills despite what other people have told me this year. I have learned a lot about communication and collaboration. I know that I argue a lot with people on set about certain shots but overall we all get what we want and are willing to listen to each other. There is always still more to learn. You are never going to not be learning. Even if you "make it big". I know right now I am still at a cross roads with what I want to do but whatever I choose to go in I know that I want to make it big.

Senior Capstone Projects



   For this project we had a choice of a music video or PSA and are group pitched the idea to do a music video/movie trailer. We wanted to show are progress as students after being in e-comm for 4 years. We also, really wanted to play to each other strengths, so we all got assigned roles that we knew we were good at. Some challenges we faced were definitely with VFX. I know that we were having issues putting the storm in the background and making the sky white. Also, with some shots making it look realistic. Another problem was extras. We had extras and then the night before filming every single one of them dropped out and we were scrambling to try and find people. We all problem solved though and found enough people and worked around the one's who couldn't be there. We didn't receive any negative feedback. Everyone really liked and it reminded them of a marvel show or movie, which is what we were going for. Overall this is my favorite video that I have every made. I think it was a good way to say goodbye to e-comm and to really show us as seniors what we can do.
   This project we had a choice of music video or PSA. Are group originally wanted to do a music video, but we weren't going to get it done in time and the idea was too elaborate. So, this video was a really last minute idea. It was written in 30 minutes and shot in 30 minutes. However we did enter it into emagine not thinking much of it. Just wanted some feedback and we ended up winning (we still don't know how). The camera shots in the video are a little shaky due to the fact that we couldn't get a ronin and had to work with that we had. Overall people liked it just thought that the camera was out of focus because warp stabilizer made it a little blurry.  Overall, I actually really like this video despite the short time frame. And this video won me my first pixel for my senior year.
   This video by far as always been one of my favorites. We made this video in the 24hour film festival last year and it was so much fun. There was a lot of arguing on set though because some people were being very closed minded and didn't want to listen, but we progressed and I think that we made a really great video. Everyone really seemed to like it and there is only one part that is a jump cut that we couldn't do anything about. Other than that people really liked the characters and the story that we told. I was sad that I didn't get to do the film festival due to other things that I had going on, but I will always have this project in my heart.
   Outside of class to enhance my abilities as an e-comm student I did get client work. I am helping out with sunflower house and their social media to help reach high school students in need as well as updating two websites. This has really helped me expand my portfolio and see is this is something that I really want to do.
   Overall my areas of strength are definitely graphic design and cinematography and photography. These are all things I like doing despite them being very stressful and I while my areas that I need to work on are definitely areas that i'm going to work on it is not going to be my main focus. Being that it is not directly affected by what I want to do.

Feature Film

   My role for this feature film was publicist. I ran the instagram and made sure that people were promoting it. I also managed 3 people underneath me and their assignments that I assigned them. This was a very stressful job in the sense of people directly not ignoring me and not wanting to do their job until I came into the class. I also was frustrated with the fact that nobody wanted to promote are film including some students in journalism. However, I did love my job for being able to create and design a theme and keep all aspects of the film within that theme. I pretty much only ever worked on my role outside of class because during filming and in class I was always doing other peoples role's.

Summary

This year I really loved how close are class was and how much fun we really had on set filming and even in class as a whole. Overall I am going to take away all of the skills that I have learned throughout my four years, but most importantly I am going to take away all of the memories and friendships that I have made. This class is an unforgettable experience that I will never forget. Thank You.





Comments

Popular Posts